21 May 2011

Rapture day!

From “Why There Will Be No Rapture” on the Exploring Our Matrix blog:

Others understand the Bible even better, and are aware that the passages appealed to in support of the doctrine of the Rapture (such as 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17) do not teach the idea of a Rapture followed by tribulation that is the mainstay of Dispensational Pre-Millennialist eschatology.

I love that. It pretty succinctly tells most of us that we really don’t have the theology chops for this subject.

Honestly, I’m not crazy about the argument that James then makes in that post.

For me, it’s pretty simple. If you’re concerned with when The Rapture will come, you’ve missed the point. Read the book again.

4 comments:

Craig Weeks said...

Nice. Especially the "we really don’t have the theology chops" part. I've come to the conclusion that God never intended for us to be able to draw out a detailed timeline showing the sequence of events. But it will be oh so clear when He does what He told us He will do.

Dr Rotwang said...

Whereas I would argue that there will be no rapture for the same reason there will be no Ragnarok or a Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Robert said...

Agreed.† If you’re worrying about when Ragnarok or the Crisis on Infinite Earths would occur, I’d still say you’ve missed the point of those stories too. ^_^

While Christianity may be my spiritual lingua franca, I’m pretty open-minded spiritually. I think Norse Paganism and Christianity are different attempts to understand the same things.

And I think comic books can contain just as much wisdom—and just as much foolishness—as religious scripture.

(† Though I suspect “agree” may not be quite accurate here. ^_^)

Dr Rotwang said...

Well, I am a dirty damn filthy damn atheist, and you're not. So, yeah, we agree on the same thing but for different reasons, I bet.

That thing is, I suspect, that it's a waste of time to worry about The End when you could, instead, be Doing Something About Now and Enjoying What Is In Front Of You At The Present.

I'd be willing to wager that we agree on even more important things, like "Tacos are Awesome", "My Ass Looks Fat In These Pants" and "AAAAAAHH GEDDITOFFA'ME GEDDITOFFA'ME!!"