30 September 2007

Not NOW

(...posting some things that have been hanging around as drafts for a bit...) So, the United Methodist Church has been reorganizing around nurture, outreach, & witness. I'm not sure exactly where this imperative comes from, but I've been told that at least my annual conference has been pushing it. While I think those are great ways to think about the activities of the church, I think they are a lousy way to organize the church. Few ministries fall neatly into any one of them. Probably because all three should be a part of everything we do. My church has wasted a lot of time & energy in this effort just at the time when we needed to focus all of our efforts on fixing some clear problems we had made for ourselves. I think all of the progress that we have made would've happened without reorganizing in this manner.

No comments: