Given that the main reason TSR/Wizards puts out new editions of D&D is economic (I mean, how else are they going to make money?)
How else are they going to make money? Hmm. I dunno...maybe...
- Publish supplements for D&D
- Publish other role-playing games
- Make new miniatures
- Publish a new miniatures game
- Publish a new expansion of a trading card game
- Publish a new trading card game
- Licensing the D&D brand
- Selling PDFs and reprints of out-of-print TSR and Wizards of the Coast products
- Publish new board games
- Reprint classic Avalon Hill board games
- Publish novels
And that’s not even touching on the vast number of ways Hasbro as a whole can make money. e.g. Continue to print Monopoly
In fact, they’re doing most of those things. I don’t think any executive at Wizards green-lighted a new edition of D&D because they couldn’t think of any other way to make money.