28 September 2008

Presidential debate 08 impressions

Jim! You’re a moderator, not a therapist!

It seems kind of ironic how McCain keeps emphasizing how he’s worked on these things his whole career and still hasn’t made progress on them.

Barack, we need to invest in education beyond science and technology. We may need to improve, but we need to be more well-rounded too.

McCain, the guy who has been signing all those spending bills is your president.

We had a surplus under a Democratic president, a Republican president who never saw a spending bill he didn’t like, and a Republican presidential candidate complaining about greed on Wall Street. O_O

Hmm. McCain has been to all these foreign countries, yet he still has shown very poor judgement about them.

3 comments:

Craig Weeks said...

Ok, I've forgotten too much high school civics. So, I have an honest question. Every time a president is credited or blamed in spending matters I keep thinking "Don't appropriation bills begin in Congress?". It just seems like most of the credit/blame for fiscal policy really lies with the Congress. But I've been wrong before.

Robert said...

It’s comparing apples to apples. McCain talks about how he’d veto spending bills; I think about how Bush never does.

Though, going past first impressions, I consider any difference from Bush a good thing.

Yeah, the blame belongs squarely with Congress. That’s why my balanced budget amendment would split the deficit equally among all Senators and Congressmen who voted for any appropriations bill that year and make them make up the difference out of their own pockets.

The thing that really annoys me along these lines in the president vs. the economy. There is such a delay between any action a president could take that would affect the economy and the effect, and then further delay between the effect and it showing up in the economic reports. Even if presidents can have a big effect on the economy, it’s a subject for history instead of politics.

Craig Weeks said...

... my balanced budget amendment would split the deficit equally among all Senators and Congressmen who voted for any appropriations bill that year and make them make up the difference out of their own pockets.

Ooooo, how I like that.

There is such a delay between any action a president could take that would affect the economy and the effect ...

I think about this every time some president's economics legacy is being discussed. I find myself wondering "Are his numbers, good or bad, merely the result of what his predecessor did?".