11 July 2010

My favorite die

I like the d10. For anyone unfamiliar with the “polyhedral dice” and dice nomenclature of Dungeons & Dragons, this is a die with ten sides. I like that...

  • It has a zero. The sides are numbered zero to nine instead of one to ten like you might expect. (Although the zero is often treated as ten in play.)
  • You can use multiple d10s to simulate a d100, d1000, etc.

What I don’t care for is the shape, which is termed a pentagonal trapezohedron.

If I had to pick a favorite from among my dice, it might well be this one:

It is the d20—twenty-sided die—from my second set of polyhedral dice. Things I like about it:

  • It’s a precision die from Gamescience, which I find aesthetically pleasing.
  • Like almost all d20s, it is a regular icosahedron, one of the platonic solids, which I find aesthetically pleasing.
  • Unlike almost all d20s made today, it is numbered from zero to nine twice, so it can be used as a d10 and shares all the things I like about d10s.
  • Unlike the earliest d20s, which were numbered in the same fashion, half of the faces have a plus sign, so it can be used as a d20 without using a second die or using two different colors for the numbers.

It was unique among my dice. Well, almost. I also have a “diamond” (i.e. clear plastic) one purchased at the same time, but it is hard to read no matter what color you use for the numbers.

I’m not sure if they still make these. The newer Gamescience dice sets I have bought have come with 1–20 d20s. It turns out, however, that Gamestation does sell some of these “d20+” dice, which I suspect are NOS. So, I ordered some. My favorite die now has some competition.

See also: “I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and I gotta say—I’m pretty much through with ten sided dice.”

4 comments:

Will Douglas said...

Hey! Thanks for the shout-out!

I used to have a 20+ die, back in the 80's. Don't know what ever happened to it -- I think I gave a whole bunch of dice away at one point.

That was stupid of me, I know, but what's done is done.

Verification word: vitomil - an abominable health tonic well-meaning parents inflict on their children in the hopes it'll make them strong and yet less sassy. Never works.

Don the Bassman said...

I've always liked the d10, I perfer the 0-9 die, not too fond of the 1-10 WhiteWolf dice though. Something about the old nostalga of using the sharp corner gemstone style dice. Of course, my collection is still growing and one day my d10's will out number my d6's. Of course I will always have a special place in my heart for the d20+ dice, since that is what I had in my very first set of dice that I got about 31 years ago. (Please forgive my spelling, english is my second language, with gaming being my first acording to my wife.)

Robert said...

I don’t think I’ve seen the White Wolf 1–10 dice.

Or have I said that before and been shown them? ^_^

Don the Bassman said...

The White Wolf Dice are black and numbered 1-10 in a stylized gothic font with the 1 being replaced with a rose. I belive I have some so I can show you them. I never really could get into them, I always loved my shiny d10s... shiny gem dice.... shiny....