17 July 2010

“There’s no wrong way to play”

Risus author S. John Ross used to often say, “There’s no wrong way to play Risus.” Today, he says, “There’s no wrong way to play.”

This is a sentiment I also heard in the words of Rob Kuntz and Tim Kask during the “early days of the hobby” round-table at the North Texas RPG Con.

I think it can be very worthwhile to discuss our approaches to role-playing games. It can be hard to remember that what works for me may not work for everyone. Often I see things as “the right way” and “the wrong way” instead of simply as preferences. I try to express my thoughts as first-person opinions. I don’t always succeed.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

It is all to easy to move from "my method of play is valid" to "your method of play is not invalid." I can sympathise.

Unknown said...

Strike that "not", I should really use the preview button...

Will Douglas said...

I have to say, many of your first-person suggestions (this is how I do it) are why I read your blog in the first place.

Even when I disagree, I don't take it personally. And it's always entertaining.

Kevin Mac said...

I always feel that way, although I do think some GM's aren't entertaining enough to be GM's. But I guess that is a different thing.

Anonymous said...

Whenever I hear this phrase, I think about this blog post by Shamus Young.

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1132