28 January 2013

On ability scores

I’ve already dropped the Intelligence ability score from my classic D&D games. I haven’t missed it. Since I’ve already messed with the ability scores, let’s take a further look at them.

I’ve never been overly found of Wisdom either, but I do like having “will power” stat. Wisdom often gets used for that, so let’s rename it Will.

It’s tempting to combine Strength and Constitution. On the other hand, it is nice to keep the melee modifier and hit point modifier separate.

Dexterity, on the other hand, is doing double-duty as ranged modifier and armor class modifier. Let’s split the AC modifier to a new ability called Quickness.

Charisma I like.

Which yields:

  • Strength (melee modifier)
  • Constitution (hit point modifier)
  • Dexterity (ranged attack modifier)
  • Quickness (armor class modifier)
  • Charisma (reaction modifier)
  • Will (saving throw modifier)

Edit: Those are just the primary effect of each ability. They can be used for other things as well.

(Look! It’s the Tri-Stat system with each stat broken in two!)

This would also be compatible with the d20 system saves: Constitution → Fortitude, Quickness → Reflexes, & Will → Will.

1 comment:

Necropraxis said...

Seems very reasonable.