09 April 2009

Journey to the City of the Gods

There may be as many opinions on the various roles and contributions of Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson to the creation of Dungeons & Dragons as there are people who recognize those names. By all accounts, though, they were both interesting, imperfect, and genuinely nice characters. And also very different.

The hobby they created has given me fun, but it also gave me an impetus to study history and probability. It introduced me to literature I might never have read otherwise. And it helped me find and have an excuse to hang out with some of the best friends I’ve ever had.

Though I never met either of them, Gary’s passing last year and Dave’s now have both felt a bit like losing a mentor.

In honor of Dave and Gary, I’ve pulled out Oearth Journal #6 to read “Robilar Remembers: Journey to the City of the Gods”. It is Rob Kuntz’s account of a session in which his character Robilar and Gary’s Mordenkainen explore Blackmoor’s famed “City of the Gods”. It includes some Dungeon Masters Comments from Dave as well.

No comments: