The 4th Edition design had three primary goals for multiclassing:
- Design the classes, make them cool, then force multiclassing to play nice with them.
- Institute controls to prevent abusive combinations.
- Institute controls to make every combination as playable as possible.
Interesting. I think these would be my goals for a multiclass design...
- Design the classes, make them cool, then force multiclassing to play nice with them
- Enable multiclassing for the occasional unusual character or twist of fate
- Ensure that multiclass characters don’t outshine single class characters
- Don’t worry about making any multiclass option playable or attractive