15 May 2008

The devil and Guitar Hero

Charlie Daniels—Soap Box

I would never grant permission for some company to create a video game version of a song I wrote in which the devil wins a contest and I’m sorely disappointed with the company who owns the copyright for not policing the situation. As it is they have allowed these people to violate the very essence of the song.

At this time I don’t know if I have any legal recourse, probably not, but I wanted you folks to know that I vehemently disagree with what has been done to a piece of my work. And would like to pass along a little advice to parents of young children.

Despite any attempts to legislate otherwise, this is the way the world works. You create something. You publish it. It influences and inspires people. Probably in ways you never intended. This is not a bug; this is a feature. You are not required to like how others interpret, are influenced by, or inspired by your work. Just as they are not required to like your works in the first place.

Of course, you have every right to express your opinion, but this idea that artists should have control over their works that extends to how it can influence others...that I just can’t agree with.

How many authors of the literature that Charlie himself drew on would be outraged by a story in which a human defeats the devil on his own rather than by reliance on God?

No comments: