16 November 2008

A threat to marriage

I see on Facebook that someone has changed their status from married to single. Someone has made a comment...

“Congratulations!”

I simply cannot fathom that response.

Yes. Sometimes marriages end. Sometimes they even need to end. But is it ever a happy thing? Even if you don’t believe in marriage, surely you can understand that divorce is never pleasant.

Gay marriage isn’t a threat to the institution. If you want to find a threat to marriage how about the mindset that would respond to divorce with “Congratulations!”

2 comments:

s7610ra said...

But you don't know the situation, it was probably a friend who knows much more than you and I about the inside story..

Robert said...

Thanks for the response! I’m always happy to have comments, and I’m afraid what I’m about to write comes off as dismissive even though I don’t want it to.

I’m pretty confident that person knows less about the situation than I do.

In any case, the point is that I can’t imagine any situation in which that response would be appropriate.

I’ll certainly grant that there are limits to my imagination, though.