04 March 2008

EGG

He wrote some of the most influential books ([1][2][3] to cite a few) of my teenage years. (And was credited on others.)

There was a time (the Unearthed Arcana era) that I came to ridicule him.

I was very saddened the day I learned he’d been forced out of the company he’d built.

Then I came to respect him through his message board posts.

In the end, he was an interesting man and a vibrant spirit whose influence was great. (For it can be seen perhaps stronger in computer and console games than in the pen and paper games he created.) While he certainly achieved nothing single-handedly, I don’t think a knowledgeable observer can discount his contributions.

I am sad that I never got to meet him face-to-face or to game with him. I am grateful for his works that fill my shelves and for the conversations that he shared with me and others online. As just another gamer.

Good bye, Gary. You will be missed.

No comments: